Lee BarnesCareer Coach
Registered Career Development Institute professional supporting people with Career Advice, Career Progression and Job Search. A specialism in learning and development, and education.
Who I am
I am a Level 7 qualified Registered Career Development Professional able to support you in exploring your full career potential within the unique context that is your life.
A lifelong learner and career changer myself, I have been facilitating learning and development worldwide for over two decades. I bring a wealth of life experience from a rich tapestry of intercultural contexts to my practice.
My principles and beliefs
I believe storytelling is a powerful means of understanding ourselves and our careers, and I encourage clients to tell their career stories in ways that foster self-awareness, self-compassion, and a sense of perspective.
In an environment characterised by confidentiality, honesty and empathy, my clients can safely nurture the curiosity, adaptability, and confidence they need to write the next chapter of their working lives.
- Improving CVs - With the advent of AI-based CV screening, I can support you with building and formatting a CV that will not fail at the first hurdle. Using critical reading skills we can work together to identify key elements in job descriptions/person specifications and consider these in relation to your own skills and experience. Another key area where I can assist is helping you write a profile that grabs the reader’s attention.
- Interview skills - I will work with you to shift your perspective on job interviews by seeing them as the two-way process that they are rather than nerve-wracking assessments over which we have zero control. By helping you design questions for an employer that embody your values, for example, you will begin to feel more empowered.
- Changing careers - Having been a career changer myself, I understand the challenges and empathise with the range of emotional reactions such transitions can evoke. Working at a pace that is right for you, we can begin to research your interests from a broad perspective and get creative by imagining your perfect role. I can then support you with identifying the skills and experience required for specific roles and making the most of your existing skill set when the time comes to make your move.
- Where to start - It can be helpful to see your career as a journey through life, and as with other kinds of journeys, careers can slow down or come to a halt. I can help you clarify where you are right now, what you can learn from the previous stages, and the kind of support you need to get going again.
- Improving confidence - We often lack confidence because we are unable to recognise how rich in skills and experience we actually are, or because our fear of rejection leads us to avoiding situations where we perceive a lack of control. By encouraging you to look back at your career from different perspectives, I can help you unearth overlooked achievements and skills that will boost your confidence, whilst we plan safe steps for developing your networks.
- Discovering strengths - Very often we are the worst at recognising attributes in ourselves, so I will encourage you to seek out and reflect upon what others see as your strong points. We can also explore your different life roles - work, social life, leisure pursuits, family responsibilities - to tap into a broader and deeper pool of strengths that will help you achieve your goals.
- Applying for jobs - I can support you with your decision-making around job applications, and I will encourage you to listen to your intuition as you weigh-up your options and/or engage in the application process. I will be there to support with empathy as you learn from setbacks and build the resilience to keep going.
More about me
I live in Bahrain and the UK.
I speak French to an advanced level, having lived and worked in Paris in the mid-90s. My love affair with the language resumed in 2022, when I finally made a dinner date with a friend in Vichy after a raincheck of 17 years.
I hosted a weekly radio show on Radio 042 in Varazdin, Croatia, in the early 2000s whilst working as a Teacher of English at a local school of foreign languages.
I have 25 years experience.
Work-based learning at Careers Wales, Loughborough University, and Stay Nimble; private clients in Bahrain, including students attending international schools and adult career changers.
Training & Development
I was an instructional designer responsible for onboarding and professional development courses at a large company in the energy sector in Saudi Arabia.
Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages
I taught in France, Croatia, Slovenia, Syria, Bahrain, Oman, and Saudi Arabia.
- Qualification in Career Development (QCD)
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Career Development
- Post-Graduate Certificate in Career Development
- Master of Instructional Design
- Certificate in Academic Advising
- Post-Graduate Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL)
- BA English
- HND Journalism
I can help you with all your work-related challenges.