Georgie BlackburnCareer Coach
A career coach with over 18 years’ experience encompassing career guidance, coaching, recruitment, mentoring, careers research and writing.
Who I am
I am a qualified and registered career coach and guidance professional, with experience of working with a diverse range of clients across all age groups. I support people to make informed choices about their future, whether they are seeking a career change or trying to re-enter the workplace following redundancy, unemployment or a career break. I have also worked in the education sector for many years, supporting students at school, college and university to make decisions about their future.
My principles and beliefs
I believe that we all need help at times to navigate and manage our careers and that all should be able to access quality career coaching and guidance.
I know from personal experience how demoralising it can be when you’re in the wrong job, and how it can affect all areas of your life. I therefore hope to support as many individuals to overcome barriers and to make changes so that they can feel more fulfilled at work.
- Improving CVs - I have lots of experience of helping clients to represent themselves in the best way possible through their CV. I have been at the receiving end of CVs when I worked in recruitment and HR, so I know what employers are looking for and how important it is to clearly demonstrate your strengths and experience and to tailor it to the job you’re applying for.
- Interview skills - I have designed and delivered workshops and 1:1 sessions on interview skills and have held mock interviews for a broad range of clients. I have also been a mock interviewer in schools, working with other employers to give students their first interview experience. I help to build clients’ confidence in answering interview questions and to help them prepare, so that it doesn’t feel so daunting on the day.
- Changing careers - Career coaching can help you discover your career interests and values and understand any barriers that you’re facing, so that you can make changes towards a more fulfilling career. By supporting you along the way, making changes will feel more achievable.
- Where to start - Knowing where to start can be the hardest part when you’re trying to change your career. Working with a coach can help you to identify your priorities and make small and achievable steps to get you started.
- Improving confidence - Lack of confidence is one of the main things that stand in the way of people’s career change or getting a job, particularly if you have been made redundant or been out of the workplace for a while. I will work with you to develop confidence in your abilities and develop the tools you need, so that you really can achieve what you didn’t think was possible.
- Discovering strengths - Many people I work with undersell themselves or don’t realise the skills and personal qualities they’ve developed through different aspects of their lives. I will work with you to uncover your ‘transferable’ skills and to enable you to showcase your strengths to a future employer, whether that’s on a CV, application form or during an interview.
- Applying for jobs - Job searching can take its toll, particularly if you’ve been sending out lots of applications and getting little success. We can work together to find a job searching strategy, including accessing the ‘hidden’ job market. I will also support you in completing job applications and cover letters, that aim to meet the employer’s criteria for the job.
More about me
I live with my husband, 2 children (11 and 14) and our Labradoodle called Arty. We enjoy lots of woodland walks on our doorstep and going away in our caravan. We organise a local music festival each year - watch out Glastonbury!
- 9 years in career guidance and coaching.
- 7 years in careers research, writing and editing.
- 2 years in recruitment and executive search.
- Postgraduate Diploma in Career Guidance (distinction) + Qualification in Career Guidance
- Level 2 and 3 Counselling Skills
- Certificate in Recruitment Practice (REC)
- MA Archaeology for Screen Media
- BA (Hons) Classical Studies
I can help you with all your work-related challenges.